[News] Haiti: Maxine Waters Blasts Powell & Witch Hunt in Haiti

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 7 12:09:03 EDT 2004

Note: there are 2 stories here.

California Democrat Blasts Powell's Visit to Haiti
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=%5CPolitics%5Carchive%5C200404%5CPOL20040407a.html
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Morning Editor
April 07, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - In a furious press release on Tuesday, Rep. Maxine Waters
(D-Calif.) condemned Secretary of State Colin Powell's recent visit to
Haiti, calling it a "contemptible example of this administration's handling
of the crisis in Haiti that it helped to create."

Waters, a close friend and staunch defender of ousted Haitian President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide, is angry that Powell "has accomplished nothing and
[wasted] taxpayer dollars" by visiting the newly appointed prime minister.

Powell made a five-hour visit to Haiti on Monday, where he offered the
"full support" of the United States for the country's interim leader -- and
rejected the idea of having the United Nations investigate Aristide's ouster.

"I don't think any purpose would be served by such an inquiry. The facts
are very well-known,'' Powell said. "It was six weeks ago that Haiti was on
the verge of total security collapse. We prevented a blood bath and a coup
from taking place.''

During his visit, Powell said the U.S. would give $9-million to a fund
earmarked for building democracy in Haiti. That fund is managed by the
Organization of American States.

Rep. Maxine Waters is not pleased. In her press release on Tuesday, she
complained about Secretary Powell's refusal to "denounce the performance of
Prime Minister Latortue, who was handpicked by the U.S."

Waters also complained about Powell's refusal to condemn "the blatantly
illegal actions of criminals and drug dealers...who are still occupying and
controlling the cities of Gonaives and Cap-Haitien."

Rep. Waters named Guy Philippe, Louis-Jodel Chamblain, and Jean Tatoune as
being among those "criminals." She said they are the ones who threatened to
kill Aristide and who stirred up violence in Port au Prince and other
cities "where members of the Lavalas Party are found dead every day."

"It is absolutely shameful," said Waters, "for the U.S. to be aligned with
these killers and, even at this late date, refuse to divest itself of this
unholy alliance." She said Secretary Powell has neither "the desire nor the
will to removes these killers from their role in Haiti's crisis."

Rep. Waters is deeply immersed in the politics of Haiti, a fact that has
raised questions among some conservatives who wonder why she and other
members of the Black Congressional Caucus have defended Aristide while his
people suffered.

After Aristide was removed from Haiti (kidnapped, he said; voluntarily
removed for his own protection, the U.S. said), he took temporary refuge in
Africa. Against the wishes of the Bush administration, Waters flew to
Africa to accompany him and his wife to Jamaica, where the Aristides are
temporarily residing.

"We believe that President Aristide, in a sense, forfeited his ability to
lead his people, because he did not govern democratically," National
Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said in a mid-March television interview.

Haiti's interim Prime Minister Gerard Latortue says he has signed an
agreement to hold presidential elections next year, even though Haiti's
constitution says elections must be held within 90 days.

"I think all political parties agree that elections cannot be held in 90
days,'' Latortue was quoted as saying.

Rep. Waters called Latortue an "immoral" leader who is unfit to serve as
prime minister.

Witch Hunt in Haiti

http://dominionpaper.ca/weblog/2004/04/witch_hunt_in_haiti.html
April 7, 2004

Right now there is a political climate in Haiti where anyone can get on the
radio stations and accuse anyone else of a crime or with being associated
with violent Lavalas gangs. It means that without proof they can say this
about you and immediately you have to go into hiding, and immediately you
have to be concerned with your own welfare; and immediately the death
threats begin. That's the political climate that you have in Haiti today.

----------
These chilling comments come from a conversation that took place on the
tail end of my recent trip to Haiti with the first large post-coup
fact-findingdelegation. [1] During this trip - which lasted ten intense
days - twenty-two of us met with numerous groups and individuals
representing all sides of the socio-political spectrum in Haiti.

We interacted with representatives of many of Haiti's stakeholders, and
also met with those outsiders who feel it is their place to determine how
Haiti is governed. In this respect, the US, Canada, France, through their
various institutional bodies have made themselves "de facto" stakeholders
in Haiti. Such a framework becomes all the more clearer when we consider
such comments as those made by OAS representative Luigi Einaudi at the
Hotel Olaffson, December 31, 2003, on the eve of Haiti's bicentennial:

"The real problem with Haiti is that the international community is so
screwed up that they're actually letting Haitians run the place."[2]

This is the same Luigi Einaudi, who, according to sources at the Canadian
Embassy, was part of the "Ottawa Initiative on Haiti" at which, it was
leaked by Denis Paradis, "regime change" was planned in Haiti, and there
was discussion of the "need" for a military presence.

It is doubtful that Einaudi differs greatly in perspective from the likes
of John Negroponte, Otto Reich, or Jesse Helms's accolyte Roger Noriega.
All of these individuals have specialized in carrying out crimes against
humanity in Latin America and the Caribbean over the years. As I learned
these past 10 days, despite the silence of the mainstream media, atrocities
*are* taking place in Haiti on a scale that is all too well-known,
especially when we frame recent events against the most horrendous of the
1980's. The tactics employed in Haiti also warrant comparison to the
destabilization campaign against Jamaica's Michael Manley.

Along these lines, our first meeting set a certain tone for the remaining
days. This was a group of Lavalas leaders, none of which had seen their
families in days, and one of which had recently been abducted, beaten, and
held captive for fifteen days with several other people.[3] When he was
released he was told to immediately take his family and leave his home,
never to return.

During this same meeting we were also told that the US Marines had recently
slaughtered, in one night, 78 people in the Belair neighborhood of Port au
Prince. Reportedly, the US [and other foreign occupiers] had brought
ambulances with them in anticipation of a bloodbath. All but two of the
people murdered were carried away in these ambulances. Now no one will know
the identities of those killed.We were told that the interim government,
led by the US has the intent to destroy popular organizations.

One popular organization in particular is under attack. Since they -
Lavalas - represent the majority of the population, according to the most
credible sources, they are the primary target for destruction. The
US-spawned idea being that once the fear of a militarized Haitian police
and a trigger-happyUS military are instilled in these people, they will
think twice about disrupting the new political process that is being
imposed on them.

Followers of the news might ask themselves why demonstrations against the
occupation abruptly stopped after March 11th. The 'alleged' massacre in
Belair should be considered against this, since it occurred around this
time. It is safe to say that there have been no demonstrations in Port au
Prince since the Belair massacre.

Importantly, two anti-Aristide groups - PAPDA and the National Coalition
for Haitian Rights [NCHR] - corroborated the story of the massacre. Camille
Chalmers of PAPDA, perhaps in a move that demonstrates his guilt over
having helped create the conditions for the illegal occupation, ackowledged
hearing people "talking about 60 people dying in one day in Belair.Where
Chalmers denounces such human rights abuses as well as the US occupation,
his group [in a preemptively contradictory manner] did contribute greatly
to the demonization of Aristide, which culminated in his removal and the
eventual presence of the imperial forces. PAPDA has been 'rewarded' by the
illegitimate regime with a Ministry position [Environment] for one of its
members. At this point the reader should be asked to reconsider Tom Reeves'
"double games".[4]

This applies equally to NCHR who claim on the one hand to be a legitimate
Human Rights watchdog, but on the other refuse to investigate reported
crimes such as the atrocities in Belair. The NCHR did not deny knowledge of
these murders, and would only say that "it is too dangerous to enter
Belair" to investigate. Too dangerous, for American allies perhaps.

Such reprisal killings[as put by Chalmers and others] are a daily
occurrence in Haiti nowadays, though of course you would not know this from
reading the mainstream corporate media. A significant part of the big liein
Haiti requires that the media join the Bush and Boca Raton regimes [5] in
denying the existence of any such atrocities. An image of the interim
government being on the right track[6] has to be contrived so as to lend
legitimacy to the new status quo that is being imposed on Haitians.

Daily around 4:00 P.M, lists of names are read over the elite-controlled
radio stations. Considering Kevin Pina's "disinformation loop"[7], we have
to interrogate why the Associated Press and Reuters are not reporting the
reading of these lists. This interrogation might benefit from awareness of
Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky's "Propaganda Model", specifically its
"Worthy and Unworthy Victims chapter.[8]

By sundown those whose names are read on these lists [and others] are quick
to find a suitable place to hide. We witnessed this phenomenon first hand
during our recent stay. Dozens of people risked their lives coming to see
us - from hiding - in order to share their stories. Many of these people
testified to the fact that close friends have already been disappearedor
killed. These people also confirmed the atrocities in Belair, perpetrated
by the joint Haitian police and imperial military forces.

We were also told that the few funerals that families were able to have
[since most bodies were carried away] were attacked by Haitian police, and
several more people were subsequently killed. A Western human rights lawyer
in Haiti told us that she arrived at the location where these latest
victims were being burned. She arrived too late to identify any of the
remains, which had by then been reduced to ash.

It is in this general context of a witch-hunt that the succession of lies
on the part of the Bush Administration must be considered. Aristide
apparently left to prevent a bloodbath. [9] Emerging from a recent trip to
Haiti there is widespread testimony that the US is actually carrying out
bloodbaths of their own. Meanwhile, an illegal government is being formed,
democracy is being undermined, self-determination is being deprived,
refugees are being illegally repatriated, while the corporate press
obediently suppresses the truth, and a disempowered, heavily indoctrinated
society laps the disinformation up.

While most of the dissenting views that are managing to warrant mainstream
coverage concern the investigation into Aristides departure, there has been
next to nothing yet concerning US perpetrated [or condoned] atrocities.
This is because the US government, the Boca Raton Regime, and the corporate
press are in denial of them, so they have not yet been reported. It is my
own view that these issues need to be investigated urgently and all those
who claim to stand in solidarity with Haiti should act to facilitate this
process immediately.

[1] These views are solely those of the author and do not [necessarily]
reflect those of the delegation. My role during the delegation was as
political activist and journalist. The identity of certain quoted
interlocutors will for the time being remain anonymous, as will the
identity of those whom we met with that are currently in hiding.

[2] Two parties who were present have confirmed these statements.

[3] Lavalas is President Aristides political party.

[4] http://www.zmag.org/weluser.htm, etc.

[5] Latortue has resided in Boca Raton for many decades. His Minister of
the Interior, Herard Abraham, who is known to advocate a return of the
military, also hails from Boca Raton.

[6] See: U.S. expresses optimism about situation in HaitiFrom the Dept of
State http://www.reliefweb.int March 30, 2004.

[7] See http://www.blackcommentator.com and zmag.org

[8] In "Manufacturing Consent" [2002], pp. 37-87.

[9] This is a paraphrase. On Powells recent visit to Haiti and comments in
this context see Powell Rejects Probe of Aristide Departure From Haiti, AP Says
posted by anthony_fenton in
<http://dominionpaper.ca/weblog/international_news/index.html>international
news