[Freedom archives news] Re-Thinking Historical Narratives

Freedom Archives Events freedomarchivesnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 8 14:46:31 EST 2018

Hello!

My name is Helen and I’ve been interning at the Freedom Archives for the
past couple of months. My time at the Freedom Archives has been filled
with inquiry, stimulating conversations, and a ton of critical
thinking.  The greatest knowledge I have taken from the archives is
learning how to rethink historical narratives. Here are some insights I
gained about the importance of preserving oppressed histories.

There is a reason that we are taught about histories the way that we
are. Accepted historical narratives, as presented in our schools, the
media, and governmental establishments, eliminate the stories of
oppressed people and those engaged in struggle. Usually, history is
written in a way to justify the current social, political, and economic
hegemonies, and is supportive of those in power. Recorded history
creates narratives that decide what is normal and what is not normal,
this then plays into larger historical trajectories. When discussing
historical narratives one always needs to be critical about where the
story is coming from, and where does this narrative want to take us?

The Freedom Archives challenge the dominant narrative of history as told
by those in power, and seeks to uncover and share history that has
always existed, yet is untold. The archive is intentionally unbalanced
in what they choose to preserve, to create space for voices that are not
usually heard. While mainstream narratives of history are said to be
unbiased and are presented as fact, we know that values inherent in the
narrator, frames telling the history. The Freedom Archives are honest
about the perspectives they center and seek to look these values,
culture, and politics to project this vision into the world for a better
future. Values and ideals continue on; we are a part of longer
trajectories and rich histories of resistance.

I find that what the Freedom Archives is doing is of extreme importance.
They are preserving history, especially the history of social movements
and the history of oppressed folks who often do not get their voices
heard. Erasure of history is a form of violence as it is an effective
form of repression. For those who are engaged in struggle today, to
learn from struggles of the past is resistance. Often archival material
is hard to access when it has become entrenched in elite institutions
where you have to have a degree or money to access it. The Freedom
Archives not only preserves this history but they make history
accessible to the wider public.

Lessons found at the archives will help people today strengthen their
political work. The archives are there for you to use in order to
reinforce the legacies of resistance. I have learned that it is not only
worthwhile to document and preserve your political efforts, but also to
learn from history as to grow our critical thinking skills. Not only is
the intellectual process important, it is emotionally fulfilling to
engage these histories, for it shows us the possibilities of moving forward.

-Helen

ps. The image can be found in the John Brown Anti-Klan Committee
<https://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=7>
Collection, one of my favorites at the Freedom Archives.