[Freedom archives news] My Experience at the Freedom Archives

Freedom Archives Events freedomarchivesnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 4 18:04:28 EST 2017

freedomarchives.org
<https://freedomarchives.org/my-experience-at-the-freedom-archives/>

  Freedom Archives | My Experience at the Freedom Archives

Selam!

My name is Helen Ghebreyesus and I’m a senior at San Francisco State
University majoring in Women and Gender Studies and minoring in Race and
Resistance Studies and Health Education. This semester I took a class
called Grassroots Organizing for Change in Communities of Color which
focused on social change campaigns and movements. One of the
requirements for that class was to volunteer with a grassroots
organization. I choose Freedom Archives because I was interested in
learning more about the  hidden histories held there, especially about
the African continent.

<https://freedomarchives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/TeuraiRopa.ZANU_.jpg>

Image from Liberation Through Participation: Women in the Zimbabwean
Revolution

During my time at Freedom Archives, I had the opportunity to look at
collections focusing on national liberation movements in Zimbabwe
<https://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=321> and
Eritrea
<https://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=315&page=1>.
Looking through journals, pamphlets and other materials, I came across
unfiltered information produced by the people that participated in the
liberation struggles, which felt like a privilege because I have never
seen these materials before. At the same time, I was also engaging in
discussions about these materials to better understand the historical
context in which they were created.

Volunteering with Freedom Archives has shown me the importance of
primary resources and archival materials in terms of understanding
peoples’ struggles on the African continent. Unveiling this history of
anti-colonial resistance means making history that otherwise is
forgotten or untold available and accessible for young people like
myself to explore and learn from the accomplishments and the setbacks to
understand the present day.

At the end of my time at Freedom Archives, I applied and was approved to
teach a class at SFSU with the Experimental College about the Eritrean
National Liberation Movement. I look forward to using some of the
materials I found at the archives in my class.

Please help support more of this type of work by *donating*
<https://freedomarchives.org/donation/> to the Freedom Archives.

-Helen