[Freedom archives news] Supporting the Voices Inside: The Freedom Archives and Preserving the Prison Movement

Freedom Archives Events freedomarchivesnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 25 17:54:55 EST 2015

  Supporting the Voices Inside: The Freedom Archives and Preserving the
  Prison Movement

*http://publici.ucimc.org/?p=51813*
Posted on November 2015 <http://publici.ucimc.org/?p=51813> by Nathaniel
Moore <http://publici.ucimc.org/?author=7908>
**<https://filament.io/applications/flare?utm_source=flare_wp&utm_medium=deployment&utm_content=flarebar&utm_campaign=filament>

NMoore.headshot
<http://publici.ucimc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/NMoore.headshot.jpeg>FA_banner_2014
<http://publici.ucimc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/FA_banner_2014.jpeg>

/Nathaniel Moore is the archivist at the Freedom Archives,
www.freedomarchives.org. He lived in Champaign from 2007-2011./

*Supporting the Voices Inside: The Freedom Archives and Preserving the
Prison Movement *

“When the prison doors are opened the real dragon will fly out.”  Ho Chi
Minh

The movements to end mass incarceration were re-invigorated in early
September as a settlement in the class action lawsuit /Ashker v.
Governor of California/ was reached, a major step in ending
indeterminate, long-term solitary confinement in all California state
prisons. The settlement should result in a dramatic reduction in the
number of people in solitary across the state of California and become a
model for other states moving forward. (For example, in 2013, according
to the Illinois Department of Corrections, 2,300 people were in solitary
confinement in Illinois, about 5% of the prison population.) The suit
was filed in 2012 on behalf of prisoners held in solitary confinement at
Pelican Bay State Prison, often without any violent conduct or serious
rule infractions, many for more than a decade, and all without any
meaningful process for transfer out of isolation and back to the general
prison population. In addition to limiting the amount of time a prisoner
can spend in the Pelican Bay SHU (Security Housing Unit), and of
particular importance, is the creation of a behavior-based system;
prisoners will no longer be sent to solitary based solely on “gang
affiliation,” but rather based on serious rules violations.

Central to this agreement was the incredible organizing that took place
inside prison walls. The prisoners’ victory in this struggle to limit
the use of solitary confinement was led by the prisoners themselves – by
their ability to organize massive support for their demands within the
prisons, including embarking on two hunger strikes in 2011, and another
in 2013 that became the largest prisoner hunger strike in history, with
over 30,000 prisoners across California and the country refusing food!
Their battle against solitary is a long-standing struggle to abolish a
torturous practice that was designed to repress and attack the powerful
prisoner-led movement in the 1960s and 70s.

The 1960s and 70s were a robust time for prisoner-led organizing and
resistance. Across the country people behind bars were educating,
organizing, writing, creating and theorizing revolution and social
change. During these decades there were countless strikes, rebellions,
and numerous other challenges to state control and the racist, inhumane
conditions that accompanied imprisonment. These contributions inside
were an integral element to the organizing that was happening on the
streets during this era and the prison movement was vital to
strengthening the theory and practice of liberation. An important aspect
of the current struggle must be to learn from a previous generation.
Some of the most vibrant voices of this period are contained in the
Freedom Archives.

The Freedom Archives is a non-profit educational media archive located
in San Francisco dedicated to the preservation and dissemination of
historical audio, video and print materials documenting progressive
movements and culture from the 1960s to the present. Offering a youth
development program that encourages engagement with these historical
materials and providing media production training, the Freedom Archives
also produces original documentaries and educational media for use by
schools and organizations as tools for community building and social
justice work. Materials housed at the Freedom Archives include: weekly
news, poetry, music programs; in-depth interviews and reports on social
and cultural issues; numerous voices from behind prison walls;
recordings of diverse demonstrations and activists; and pamphlets,
journals, newspapers and other print materials from many radical
organizations and movements. Many of these materials are digitized and
free for use on the website.

Amplifying the voices of prisoners is a core value of the Freedom
Archives. One of the primary ways we do this is by using archival
materials to create educational resources that help cultivate
foundational knowledge for understanding and advancing the prison
movement. In addition to familiarizing people with important events,
leaders and thinkers, and information, linking the past and the present
allows us to expand our analysis beyond mass incarceration as just an
unfortunate phenomenon or as the result of poor public policy, but as a
key component of continued state repression. To that end, we have
created short video documentaries about the Attica Rebellion and George
Jackson and an audio tribute to recently murdered political prisoner
Hugo Pinell (of the San Quentin Six) to help ground younger generations
in how important prisoners have been and are to movement building and
theorizing radical social change. In 2013 we published a book, /Out of
Control: A 15-Year Battle Against Control Unit Prisons/, that chronicles
the inspiring story of the Committee to End the Marion Lockdown (CEML),
which organized against control unit prisons and related inhumane
practices at the notorious federal prison in Marion, Illinois, beginning
thirty years ago. We are excited that the web version of this book
allows readers to view, read or listen to archival materials referenced
in the text and, if you wish, download it to your computer. This
interactive resource allows a fuller and more engaging understanding as
the primary sources speak directly to what you are reading.

In addition to our educational resources, one can make use of our
digital search engine which allows for increased access and
user-friendly exploration of our holdings. Inside many of our
collections are the voices, writings, poems, statements and interviews
of political prisoners. As the United States claims it has no political
prisoners, our robust collections serve not only to challenge that
fundamental untruth but also to illuminate and disseminate the voices of
former Black Panthers and people in the Black Liberation Movement,
Puerto Rican independentistas, White anti-imperialists, Native
Americans, grand jury resisters and many others. Video showing the
strength and determination of the women formerly held in the underground
Lexington Federal Prison; statements capturing the unyielding defiance
of Puerto Rican prisoners of war and the beauty and hope of political
prisoner Marilyn Buck’s poetry are but some of the powerful and
impactful content contained in the Freedom Archives.

Over the past 15 years, the Freedom Archives has become a national and
international source of media of great interest to young people and
students, but also to teachers, diverse community organizations and
media outlets, filmmakers, activists, historians, artists and
researchers. Our materials are regularly used in schools and as tools
for community building and social justice education. Our full collection
is searchable at search.freedomarchives.org
<http://search.freedomarchives.org/>. We also maintain an email list
that disseminates important news, updates and writings about prisons
from current and former political prisoners. For example, we were able
to use this organ to play a role in publicizing the state’s recent
settlement as well as the hunger strikes of previous years.

Connecting lessons of the past with current political resistance is a
vital task for our movements today. How can we best support the work
that is occurring on the inside? How can we make sure that our work is
consistent with the values and goals of prisoners? How can we most
effectively disseminate their ideas? As we grapple with these questions
across the country, the Freedom Archives exists as an important resource
to preserve the past, illuminate the present and shape the future. As
the voices inside continue to grow in intensity, we endeavor to support
and amplify the power of the dragons that will one day fly to freedom.

Nathaniel Moore

You can support our work with *a donation here!
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>*