[Freedom archives news] You can easily help to support our work - we depend on grassroots help

Freedom Archives Events freedomarchivesnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 26 14:44:54 EDT 2015

Dear Friends,
You may have received a mailing from us recently, and if so, this is a
reminder!

*DONATE HERE!* <https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>

We started 2015 with much to inspire us, having recently celebrated our
15^th anniversary.

Shortly after our celebration, we started organizing for the 40^th
anniversary of the Viet Nam victory, April 30th of this year. We helped
organize a May 2^nd teach-in at MetWest High School in Oakland, entitled
“The Spirit of Viet Nam is Stronger than US Bombs.” Close to 200 people
participated in the day-long intergenerational and anti-imperialist
event which connected the legacy of the Vietnamese victory to challenges
facing our communities today.We worked along with youth groups from the
Asian diaspora, veterans, and others, as part of the Viet Nam Victory
Coalition.

As you may know, the Vietnamese national liberation struggle moved the
entire world and was one of the most important historical events of the
20th century. The people’s war, reaching a peak in the Tet Offensive of
1968, demonstrated that a united people, even in a poor and
underdeveloped nation, could defeat the most powerful military and
economic power on earth. In an era when national liberation struggles
surged in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, the struggle and example of
the Vietnamese people catalyzed strong solidarity movements around the
world and inside the US. The movement against the war in Viet Nam in the
US was inextricably tied to the early anti-imperialism of the civil
rights/Black liberation movement, and many other movements of the 1960s
and 1970s.

As part of the Viet Nam tribute, we launched an educational web page
(http://www.freedomarchives.org/Viet%20Nam.html) featuring significant
audio clips, many from the Archives, an interactive timeline with some
short videos, an article by Ho Chi Minh on lynching in the US, written
in 1924, and an interview with General Vo Nguyen Giap. We think this
Viet Nam resource is unique and well worth taking some time to explore.
Teachers have used these materials to teach about the actual history of
Viet Nam, as opposed to the massive and intensifying myth-making of the
US government and military.

*Illuminating Hidden History*

We’re hard at work on an exciting documentary video project focusing on
the Chican@ movement, its student martyrs and Aztlan land struggles.
We’ve been gathering video interviews and historical footage about the
Chican@/Mexican@ struggle in Colorado and New Mexico. In May of 2014, we
were honored to attend and document an important and moving “Symbols of
Resistance” gathering in Colorado, to commemorate the 40th anniversary
of “los seis de Boulder” (six young Chican@ activists killed in two car
bombings during the height of student and community protest in 1974) and
three other activist martyrs from the same period.

Three of us returned for a second trip, this time to southern Colorado
and northern New Mexico, where we conducted additional in-depth
interviews with leading activists. You can view a short piece on the
land taken back and the creation of a school in Tierra Amarilla on our
blogsite
(http://blog.freedomarchives.org/the-youth-brigades-at-tierra-amarilla/). Thanks
to your support and some small grants from Common Counsel, the Peace
Development Fund, People’s Life Fund, the Puffin Foundation, and the
Sparkplug Foundation, we are beginning to put this documentary together.
Check out a trailer compiled from footage shot at the May, 2014
gathering on our vimeo site at https://vimeo.com/108259968

*Youth Will Be Served*

Our internship program continues to attract vibrant and talented young
people who contribute to the Archives as they do their own projects and
productions. This May, one of our interns is graduating from Mission
High School and is heading for San Francisco State University, and two
interns from the last fall are graduating from the University of San
Francisco. We are very proud of their accomplishments, both inside and
outside the Archives, and wish them the best.

You can follow our weekly and monthly activities using social media.
We’re on the web, facebook, twitter, maintain a blog, and host a vimeo
page—all of which can be used to keep updated on our events and current
news, and learn about new materials constantly being added to the Archives.

*Your Support Is Crucial*

Your ongoing support is absolutely essential to our ability to continue
our work. Your help makes possible all the educational work we do: the
internship program, the audio and video documentaries and books, the
online resources and digital search site, and our outreach efforts from
our Mission district community out to the nation and the world. Most
importantly, your help ensures that this resource will be able to serve
generations to come.

Please consider sending us a donation. You can also contribute on-line
or become a monthly sustainer.THANK YOU!

*DONATE HERE!* <https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>