[Freedom archives news] A New Way to Search the Freedom Archives Online!

Freedoml Archives Events freedomarchivesnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 21 10:44:21 EDT 2013

  A New Way to Search the Freedom Archives Online!

The Freedom Archives is excited to announce our new search engine at
search.freedomarchives.org <http://search.freedomarchives.org>

You can now digitally access audio, video and full-text written
materials and browse through our many collections that date from the
late-60s to the mid-90s and chronicle progressive history and culture of
liberation struggles and movements. Along with the expanded ability to
search the archives, we are excited to highlight 300 digitized documents
from the Committee to End the Marion Lockdown
<http://www.search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=1>, a
great supplement to our recently released book, Out of Control -- A
Fifteen Year Battle Against Control Unit Prisons
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Out_of_Control/index.html>. One of the
newly available resources is a video from a 1987 event held by the
Committee to End the Marion Lockdown in which they created a model
control unit cell. As the hunger strikers at Pelican Bay are gearing up
to re-initiate their strike in July, it is as relevant and important as
ever to understand the conditions they face as well as the historical
legacy of resistance and organizing against inhumane treatment inside of
America's prisons.

The search engine is still a work in progress, and we are excited to
increase its usability as well as the amount of online content for all
to access. Please contact us if you are interested in donating
historical materials to our collection, want to volunteer to further
increase the impact of this important work or can contribute to our
efforts -- your donations are fully tax deductible. You can donate here
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005> or contact
us at info at freedomarchives.org.

-Nathaniel