[Freedom archives news] You Can Still Support the Freedom Archives - every contribution counts!

Freedom Archives Events freedomarchivesnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 18 11:39:23 EST 2013

*Hi friends. You make it happen! We do not depend on a corporation or a
foundation, but you and other members of our community!

If each of you gave at least $5, we could do our work for this coming
year without pause. If you can increase your support or become a monthly
donor, we would hit fewer bumps in the road.

To give on line click here!
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>

Fall 2013

Dear Friends:*

This coming year will mark the 14th year of the formal existence of the
Freedom Archives!

This past year has been filled with exciting activity. Thanks to you ---
and solely to you --- we've grown in a steady way to become a
well-established, widely-known, and highly-respected organization.

*2013 Highlights!*

*Chile Solidarity*. We are still glowing with the warm feelings from an
event held on September 11th that spanned so many years commemorating
the 40th anniversary of the fascist coup in Chile and the worldwide
solidarity movements that grew from it. The event took place at La Peña
in Berkeley, a community institution and gathering place that grew from
that worldwide wave. We premiered a video with renowned Chilean author
Isabel Allende, along with some moving poetry and powerful music. The
video can be seen on our website (www.freedomarchives.org) in both
English and Spanish.

As the event ended, a young woman who had never attended one of our
events told us how she found the feelings of love, solidarity, and human
connection that filled the room quite palpable. What she sensed was the
longtime and now renewed connection between people who have contributed
to our large media collections, our historical solidarity work with
Latin American and Caribbean movements in the US, and the
Chican@/Mexican@ movements.

*New Video Planned.* Inspired by this connection, and building upon our
widely-used educational film, Cointelpro 101, we've realized that the
vicious repression of that time against the Chican@ movement is barely
referenced in any academic literature. Since it's hardly known about
even by many longtime progressive activists, we're planning to begin
shooting a video next May that will focus on the student martyrs of the
Chican@ movement and their importance. We will share more about this
film in our next letter!

*Herman Bell.* This year we completed a video about long-time political
prisoner Herman Bell featuring actor Danny Glover and members of
Herman's family, including moving footage from his two granddaughters.
As a member of the Black Panther Party and more recently the San
Francisco 8, he has been imprisoned since 1973 and is now parole
eligible. This video was central to his launching of a new website at:
http://www.freehermanbell.org and will help build support for his parole
campaign this coming February, 2014. Please support Herman by checking
out his website.

*Until All Are Free We Are All Imprisoned.* For the 47th anniversary
event of the Black Panther Party, held in Santa Rosa in October, the
Archives put together a booklet with messages from former Panthers still
imprisoned; many subjected to tortuous conditions, including enduring
many years of solitary confinement. That booklet can also be found on
our blogsite.

*New Customized Search Engine.* We launched an innovative website of
rare historical documents, as well as audio and video materials, as a
customized search engine on our website: www.search.freedomarchives.org.
Along with a general search feature, this technology allows a less
academic and more user-friendly exploration of our materials---it is
media-sample-driven to encourage younger generations to explore our many
social justice collections.

*Our New Book.* Along with print publication of /*Out of Control - A
Fifteen Year Battle Against Control Unit Prisons*/ by Nancy Kurshan, we
constructed a web-version of the book --- with links to documents,
photographs, videos and audio materials that deepen and amplify the text
(http://www.freedomarchives.org/Out_of_Control/01_introduction.html).
This history is at the root of the recent upsurge and expansion of
hunger strikes in the Georgia, Ohio, and California prisons.

We sent free copies of the printed book to prisoners throughout the US,
in particular to leaders of the historic California Prison Hunger
Strike. During recent legal visits, many prisoners spoke of the book's
usefulness and inspirational impact. Because of our commitment to prison
justice work, we continue to play an active role with the Prison Hunger
Strike Solidarity Coalition's media committee, writing articles, press
releases, and op-eds, and documenting solidarity mobilizations outside
prisons.
So, as you can tell, we've been busy! But don't worry, that hasn't
stopped the flow of new projects and ideas brewing for the future. We
welcome your suggestions and deeply appreciate your contributions. This
end of the year funding appeal is an essential component of our
financial planning --- so please give generously.

You can use the return envelope and send us a check or give on line with
a one-time donation or by becoming a monthly donor. Many thanks and
please give generously!

*To give on line click here!
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>*

PS--- If you live in the Bay Area you can also benefit the Freedom
Archives by taking your second-hand items to Community Thrift, 623
Valencia St. in San Francisco. Your donations not only support this
non-profit thrift store, but also our work. Mention the Freedom Archives
when you drop off your items!